Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About LaunchX Admissions
By Launchx admissions
February 03, 2021
Congratulations on applying to LaunchX! Whether you are still in the process of applying, waiting on your admissions decision, or trying to decide whether to accept, we understand you will have a lot of questions. We’re here to help!
Please see below for the most commonly asked questions. Don’t see your question below? Check out the LaunchX website FAQs page for more.
First, a few logistics:
- The application deadline is February 15. It’s coming up soon, and we already have a lot of applications, so we’ll need to close out the applications at that time.
- If you happen across LaunchX closer to the summer than that, unfortunately we will not be accepting applications. Please subscribe to our newsletter to stay connected and apply next year!
- All regular round admissions decisions will be announced by April 2, 2021.
Now for some of our common questions about the program and application process:
- Will LaunchX 2021 be held online / virtually?
- After careful consideration, we made a decision to hold LaunchX Summer 2021 online. As we debated the best path forward for LaunchX 2021, we’ve reflected on what students came to expect of LaunchX program and we are confident that we can meet those expectations in an online environment. There’s a lot of skepticism about online learning, and we understand! It’s hard to create a great program that has the same community-building and engagement of an in-person program. However, LaunchX was able to do it in the summer of 2020. LaunchX 2020 was an overwhelming success, bringing together close to 300 students from around the world and helping them start 60 companies. If you’re a high school student who is ready to change the world, apply now! It takes all types of entrepreneurial change-makers to come together, so if you’re an innovator, maker, designer, dreamer, explorer, visionary, coder, marketer, or just want to start something real, we want you! Take the first step today and start your application to LaunchX.
- Who teaches the classes at LaunchX?
- LaunchX classes are taught by LaunchX staff. There will also be guest lectures by several acclaimed university instructors, industry experts, and entrepreneurs.
- Can I change my application once I’ve submitted it?
- You cannot change your application once it has been submitted. The only exception is if you become aware that the link to your video does not work. If this is the case, please email email@example.com. If we find that your video link is not working or is not accessible when we review your application, we will email you at the email you used to set up your application (make sure you check it and are getting emails from us), and you will need to respond with the updated link within a day, please, so that we can continue with application reviews on time. Otherwise, we will review your application without the video and score it accordingly.
- My friends have received interview requests, but I have not. Does that mean I have been rejected?
- We send interview decisions on a rolling basis as we review applications. If you have not received one, please wait until we assess your application, which has no bearing on when you submitted your application relative to the deadline (most people submit within the last couple of days). Note: we offer interviews until late into the process!
- I have received an interview, and I am trying to set up a time on Calendly. Are the times offered in my time zone?
- All interview times are stated in Eastern Standard Time (EST). We have interviewers in many different locations to allow for our applicants’ time zones across the world. Please review the times shown and adjust to your time zone to ensure it will work with your schedule and plan accordingly. You will not be able to reschedule the interview if you miss it, regardless of the reason.
- I’ve been admitted and am thinking about accepting. What does my fee cover?
- The program fee covers the staff to deliver the LaunchX experience, the technology resources such as our Learning Management system, online activities and events throughout the summer, prototyping materials, and other costs and resources required to bring this program to fruition.
- Is it possible to get financial support?
- Admission to LaunchX is need-blind. We will award financial need support to those that qualify. Accepted students who have expressed interest (see the first section of the application) will need to fill out a financial need application and provide their parent/guardian’s financial information which includes the last two years of taxes, income verification, assets, and costs of the family.
- Can I pursue other programs and activities while I attend LaunchX?
- We expect LaunchX students to be fully committed to the program for the full program duration. With the rigorous schedule of LaunchX, there’s not really time to be actively involved in other activities during the program. We recognize that with the program being remote that students will be involved in some things at home such as home life and the occasional meet up with friends. Students may not be doing LaunchX while also engaged in another full-time or part-time program, attending school, working at a job, or otherwise engaging in an activity that has a significant demand on their time. Essentially, starting a company takes a lot of time, and is especially difficult under such time constraints as LaunchX. We want students to get the most out of this experience, and we also want teams and the community to grow together. We do not want to burden any teams with a teammate who is not fully commited, nor do we want to have a student’s learning experience adversely impacted through not being fully present.
- Why have I been denied?
- We have a large number of wonderfully qualified students that apply to LaunchX. While we cannot provide individualized feedback to each specific applicant regarding their admissions decision, please know that several admissions committee members reviewed every application. We encourage you to apply again next year!
- I was denied, but I am still interested in LaunchX. When can I apply for the 2022 sessions?
We look forward to having many of you join us this summer!Subscribe to our Newsletter for updates